Capacity planning, schema design, server design, security and growth plans.
Performance analysis, query tuning, server tuning and process tuning.
Horizontal and vertical strategies, replication, sharding and clustering solutions.
Backup and recovery, clustering, standby and failover solutions with a focus on simplicity and process.
Monitoring and Trending:
Commercial, open source and bespoke solutions including Nagios, Cacti, Ganglia and Oracle Enterprise Manager/Grid Control.
- Oracle to MySQL
- MySQL to Oracle
- PostgreSQL to MySQL
- MySQL to PostgreSQL
Processes and Compliance:
- Data governance and architecture
- Sarbanes-Oxley, HIPAA and PCI compliance
- MySQL community and enterprise, MariaDB and Percona XtraDB
- PostgreSQL 8 and 9
- Scripting in shell, python, C and perl.
- Red Hat, Debian, Centos, Ubuntu, FreeBSD, Gentoo
- Amazon EC2, EBS, RDS
- Rightscale hosted
- LVM, XFS
- Nagios, Cacti, Ganglia and Zabbix
- Text searching with Sphinx, Solr, Lucene
- Memcached and Membase
- Configuration management with Git, Puppet and SVN